N & Central America
Tools & Resources
GMU Soil Moisture
Related Web Sites
Republic of Korea
Tools and Resources
The following tools and resources were compiled from different sources to aid WMO Members in improving their agrometeorological bulletins and increasing their knowledge of available agrometeorological-related resources.
Climate Forecasts and Agriculture
- An Expert Team Meeting on Software for Agroclimatic Data Management was held in Washington, D.C., USA in October 2000
to assess the current status of software for agroclimatic data management and determine the future needs for more efficient management of agroclimatic data to foster improved agroclimatic applications.
Participants in the meeting discussed climatic data management, crop and soil data management, remotely sensed data management and integrated packages.
Dissemination: Selected Papers
Feedback: Selected Papers
- Early Warning Systems for Drought Preparedness and Drought Management (PDF) Proceedings from an WMO Expert Team Meeting in September 5-7 2000 in Lisbon, Portugal
- Basics of Drought Planning: 10 Step Process (PDF) National Drought Mitigation Center, Nebraska, USA
- Download Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) software
- Inter-Regional Workshop on Indices and Early Warning Systems for Drought December 8-11, 2009 in Lincoln, USA
- WMO/UNISDR Expert Meeting on Agricultural Drought Indices June 2-4, 2010 in Murcia, Spain
- Consultation Meeting on the Proposed Integrated Drought Management Programme November 15-16, 2010 in Geneva, Switzerland
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
- FAO and emergencies Web Page
- Global Drought Monitor from UCL Department of Space and Climate Physics
- Famine Early Warning Systems Network from USAID
- North American Drought Monitor Page National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, NC, USA
- NLDAS Drought Monitor Web Site North American Land Data Assimilation System
- European Drought Observatory (EDO) from European Commission Joint Research Center
- Southwest Asia Drought Monitor Drought monitor of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Western India
- Experimental African Drought Monitor (ADM) for Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, and Tanzania
- National Drought Mitigation Center in Lincoln, NE provides some excellent resources (see the following links) on drought definition, planning, monitoring, and mitigation.
- US Drought Monitor Page
- U.S. Drought Portal
- Canadian Drought Watch Web Page Produced by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, provides articles on drought related topics such as crops, livestock, pasture, pest management, and water.
Forestry and Fire Weather
- Global Fire Monitoring Center (GFMC) The GFMC is an activity of the UN International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR) and is hosted by the University of Freiburg, Germany. Selected GFMC web sited are listed below.
- GFMC Wildland Fire Early Warning Portal Links to global, regional, and national fire weather forecasts and early warning systems.
- International Forest Fire News (IFFN) IFFN is an activity of the Joint FAO/ECE/ILO Committee on Forest Technology, Management and Training, and the GFMC, in cooperation with the many other co-sponsors and partners. There is an archive of the semi-annual reports back to 1998 and country reports back to 1990.
- Global Forest Resources Assessment Portal This Remote Sensing Survey portal provides access to global sample tiles and it enables the search, display and download of tile information, associated satellite imagery and auxiliary data. Coordinated by FAO with USGS, EC-JRC, Jena University, and South Dakota State University as partners.
GrADS (Grid Analysis and Display System)
- Arcview 3.1 Tutorial (HTML) from U.S. National Weather Service
- GEO Data Portal - access to UNEP's online database of over 450 different parameters
- EU COST 719 Official Web Page - The Use of GIS in Climatology and Meteorology Links to several workshops with online presentations
- Online AWIPS Map Database A listing of over 20 datasets and links for the US and North America from the U.S. National Weather Service
- USGS GIS Tutorials Tutorials from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) on Arcview, ArcviewIMS, ARC/INFO, GRASS, and IDRISI
- Useful GIS and Remote Sensing Links from Taylor & Francis GIS publishers
- Free ArcExplorer Software Free shapefile viewer from ESRI
- ArcExplorer Web Make an online map from ESRI
- ARCUSER Magazine Link to website of ArcUser Magazine published by ESRI. Contains current issues, articles, and an archive of previous issues.
- ARCNEWS Newsletter Link to website of ArcNews Newsletter publsihed by ESRI. Contains current issues, articles, and an archive of previous issues.
- Google Earth Software Free Viewer and Search software of sateillite imagery, maps, and other geographic information for the world
- EarthBrowser Software 3D model of the earth with weather and geological information. Free Demo version available but full version must be purchased.
Irrigation and Drainage
Natural Disasters and Agriculture
Online Training Resources
- Web Portal on Automatic Weather Stations: The Instruments and Methods of Observation Programme (IMOP) of the World Weather Watch (WWW) of the WMO provides an excellent web portal on the Development, Maintenance and Operation of Instruments, Observing Methods and Automatic Weather Stations. With over 50 links, topics include: Operational Guides & Guidelines, Siting and Exposure, Maintenance & Repairs, Methods of Observation, Algorithms & Procedures, Quality Assurance / Quality Control, Instruments Intercomparisons, New Sensor Developments, Papers & Presentations (presented at Conferences), Training Materials, and IMOP Reports.
Plant And Animal Diseases/Health
Remote Sensing, GIS, and Satellites
Soil Erosion / Land Degradation
- Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE) Handbook (PDF) PDF version of USDA's Agricultural Handbook 703 - Predicting Soil Erosion by Water: A Guide to Conservation Planning With the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE). Link provided by the US Department of the Interior, Office of Technology Transfer.
- Water Erosion Prediction Project (WEPP) Software The WEPP model is a process-based, distributed parameter, continuous simulation, erosion prediction model for use on personal computers running Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP. This link is provided by Purdue University.
- Wind Erosion Research Unit This USDA-ARS web site provides an several links on wind erosion including Wind Erosion Simulation Models (WEPS).
Weather and Climate Data
- The Statistical Service Center (SSC) of the University of Reading, United Kingdom provides several excellent software packages, tutorials, and guides for statistical analysis with an emphasis on climatic data.
- INSTAT Statistical software -- General statistical package which is simple enough to teach statistical ideas, yet powerful enough for rigourous data analysis. INSTAT is free for individual, non-commercial purposes, but there is a cost for all other purposes.
- Excel for Statistics -- A SSC Excel add-in along with tutorials, examples, booklets, guides, macros help, training courses, and other Excel statistics recources.
- Statistics and Participation -- Several papers and workshop information concerning "Bridging the gap between statistics and participatory methods"
- Index of Resources for Statistical Analysis and Training -- An index of the SSC Resources